Wednesday 1 October 2008

Facebook Anonymous

I knew it was about time to write a new post. 
And i tried to think of something REALLY interesting to write...
Eventually i came up with "whats WRONG with the media"
There are plenty of reasons for good things about the media, spreading news etc..
But the media can also have bad and un-desired effects too.

We can never say no to a good TV programme, whatever it may be. But when do we know when to say 'enough'?
Reading through fellow classmates Media Diaries, i was amazed to see the hours that they spend using the media. Is this time necessary, or are we discarding other things for the media?
Facebook, starts of with a simple exploration of your friends on the site and suddenly you're logging in every half an hour to see if any of your friends have made updates, changed relationship status, or posted new videos, without even realising it. and soon a simple social networking account slowly turns into a media addiction.
Sure, Facebook is great, its cheaper than sending a text, quicker and more fun. But i often find myself sitting on Facebook, bored. Getting off Facebook doesn't seem to enter my mind. I just wait for it to get interesting again. 
Recently ive found myself realising that Facebook, is actually controlling me
Depressing, yes?
Why am i so obsessed with sitting there, until something happens, when i could be downstairs, talking to my Mum, Dad, Sister or Brother. Who, would actually be more interesting!
I am still trying to work out why it is so obsessive, is it the news feeds? The down right annoying facebook chat? The nosiness of it all? Or simply that its something to do?
I'm sure many of my class may have tweeked their media diaries, to make themselves look less of a Facebook addict. But they know what i'm talking about.

3 comments:

BobbiJayne said...

hahaha, made me laugh. It's soo true! My mum often has a go at me, saying, 'get off the computer and come and interact with some real people.' xxx

Hannah said...

i know
its so sad :(

makes me realise how sad i am!
going to change!!

Sacha van Straten said...

I suppose the main question to ask is: are you bored with Facebook and its interface (why do you think they've revamped the look of the site?) or are you fed up with having to parade every little detail of your life in public?